Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Podcast Pandemonium

Podcast, not a word I was very familiar with until now. My first thought about podcasts was simple, they are like a news broadcast on Itunes. Except they don't tell you news, they tell you about ways to do different things. When I began on this journey, I decided to go into it blind. I had no idea what i was doing, just clicked on podcast and then clicked on education.
The first podcast I began to listen to under the K-12 education department was Teaching with Smartboard with Scott Miller and Dave Sladkey. My first impression was thank god I could fast forward! Although these guys had great voices and kept me somewhat entertained, i found this podcast not helpful. I guess if I had sat down and began from their very first podcast then I would understand how these guys would be truly helpful. The used some words that were not quiet understandable for people who are not down with the technology language.
The next podcast I decided to venture onto was Teachers Teaching Teachers, which was not on the blog agenda but I saw it and decided that I had to listen. So first off, no fast forwarding in this one. I was hoping this podcast would be for elementary education because I would have loved to hear advice from teachers that would help me out. This podcast was not that one, this had Paul Allison, Susan Ettenheim, and Thomas Locke talking about technology. I was really hoping it was teachers talking about how to handle situations in the classroom, I was unfortunately wrong.
The third time is the charm? Yes I think so! I found a blog I truly enjoyed listening to. I was also not on the blog agenda. I found this one and it was called The Art of Storytelling with Brother Wolf. This podcast peeked my interest because I'm in elementary education and we do have to tell stories to children. First off I loved the fact that there was several different people to talk on this podcast. They just gave great ideas on how to tell stories and they are also very well knowing of what they are talking about. Defiantly suggest this podcast!
Last but not least I decided to find another one off the blog assignment's list and I went with KidCast with Dan Schmit. This podcast he was discussing video casting which was good because in class we were discussing this idea. He seemed to have a lot of knowledge about technology which is good. I'm not really sure where i stand on his podcast, i was okay, but he didn't string me in to coming back for more.
All in all, I believe that podcasts have potential to help us a lot as teachers. I really look forward to making my own podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment